Can I Get Child Support for Private School or College?

Let our Houston Child Support Lawyer Explain

Photo of Lunch BoxIf you have recently gone through the divorce process, you are likely concerned about your future, as well as the future of your children. It is important to understand how child support arrangements may affect the education of your child, both during the primary and secondary education years and during college.

Child Support for Private School Education

Houston child support guidelines calculate child support based upon the income of the child’s parents. However, one parent may be required to pay more child support if the child is enrolled in private school at the time of the divorce. If the child is not enrolled in private school at the time of the divorce, but is later enrolled by the custodial parent, child support may be modified if the court deems that the parent’s decision to enroll the child was based upon the best interests of the child. Typically, the custodial parent must demonstrate that the decision to enroll the child was based upon a particular factor, such as the child’s handicap or the fact that the child is a slow learner.

Child Support During College

Texas law does not currently mandate that either spouse provide for a child’s college education. In fact, support obligations cease when the child reaches age 18, unless the child is still enrolled in a secondary education program working towards a high school diploma. However, you and your former spouse can agree to certain provisions, such as which parent will support your children during college, when you are discussing child support arrangements.

If you and your former spouse wish to continue support obligations while your child is in college, a Houston divorce lawyer can help you create an agreement that provides for any of the following:

  • Payment of tuition expenses
  • Assistance with college-related expenses such as textbooks and school supplies
  • Provision of housing and other living expenses while your child is enrolled as a full-time college student

Such an agreement can benefit your child in the long-run, provided you and your spouse are able to come to an agreement. If you need assistance providing for your child’s support relating to private school or college, contact a Houston child support attorney at John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., today. One of our friendly Houston family lawyers can explain the process of obtaining child support and answer any questions that you may have.

Comments are closed.