What Happens if I do not Pay Child Support in Texas?

Let our Houston Child Support Attorney Explain

Photo of OverduetAt John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., we understand the pain and frustration associated with undergoing a divorce. Add to this frustration the difficulty of supporting a child on your own when a former spouse fails to pay child support, and we know that you are facing dire circumstances. If you are constantly battling your former spouse in an effort to get the money your child is owed, you need a Houston family lawyer whom you can depend on to represent you.

Fighting to Protect Your Child’s Support Rights

Every child has the right to support from his or her parents. Any parent who fails to pay court-ordered child support is violating this right and is doing a disservice to his or her children. If you are not receiving child support payments from your former spouse, there are a number of avenues you can pursue, including:

  • Petitioning the court to hold the parent who failed to pay in contempt of court
  • Entering a money judgment against your former spouse
  • Obtaining a child support lien

Failure to pay child support is a serious offense and can result in serious penalties to the parent who failed to pay, including steep fees, the suspension of any professional licenses and liens placed upon his or her property. Additionally, the failure to pay child support can be prosecuted as a Class B misdemeanor, resulting in a fine of up to $500 and jail time of up to six months.

Working for You so that You Can Continue Providing for Your Child

John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., is a Houston divorce law firm that works to protect your rights. Our Houston child support attorneys have experience in a variety of family law issues, including the enforcement of child support orders and Houston child support law. We know that supporting a child on your own can be difficult and we will do whatever we can to ease the process for you. Contact the Houston child support lawyers at John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., today to begin demanding the support your child is owed.

Comments are closed.