Locating a Parent for Houston Child Support

Provided by our Houston Divorce Lawyers

Photo of Gavel & GlobeChild support is a binding obligation that should not be taken lightly. If your former spouse or partner has failed to make child support payments, you can bring the matter before the court and obtain the delinquent payments through child support liens and the garnishment of wages.

Locating a Parent to Obtain Child Support Payments

However, the most difficult child support situations arise when you are unable to locate the other parent. This creates issues because it is difficult, if not impossible, to enforce a lien against a person you are unable to locate. These complex issues are further exacerbated in situations where you have not yet set up formal child support arrangements.

Resources for Those Seeking to Locate a Missing Parent

Luckily, a number of Texas resources, including the Office of the Attorney General, are available to help you locate the parent responsible for making child support payments. The Texas Attorney General’s Office offers a variety of methods of searching for missing parents who owe child support, including the following:

  • Contacting the missing parent’s bank(s), creditor(s), relatives and friends, as well as unions and organizations to which the parent is a member
  • Obtaining the latest information about a missing parent from the State Parent Locator Services
  • Publicly identifying and posting pictures of parents who are delinquent in their child support payments

Children have a right to support from their parents, and this right cannot be extinguished simply because one parent failed to inform the other of his or her whereabouts.

Providing Assistance to Parents Seeking to Enforce Their Child’s Support Rights

Locating a parent for child support is not an easy task, and it is often helpful to obtain the assistance of a Houston divorce attorney who can advise you throughout the process. At the Houston divorce law firm of John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., we are dedicated to helping parents obtain the child support that their children are entitled to receive. For assistance locating your child’s other parent, contact the Houston divorce lawyers at John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., today.

Comments are closed.